Documenting my niece's arrival and welcoming my sister into motherhood | Miami FL, Photographer


When my sister had her first contractions I flew to Mexico City. Nothing happened for a week. Then, BIRTH!!
I remember how calm was she when she told me one morning that couldn't sleep because had a contraction in the middle of the night. On that morning we went for breakfast, walked everywhere, stopped with every contraction, talked, laughed, talked some more and kept walking. My brother in law came home and together we did more shores, ate, paid phone bill and the list goes on. They packed hospital things and when time was right (she was almost pushing!!!) we headed to the hospital. Everything was magical, the Doctor/Midwife was superb! His eye contact was tender, relaxed and loving, touched her and talk to her in a supportive and gentle way. He allowed labor to develop in a genuine natural way. He let my sister to follow her inner instincts. My brother in-law was the same way and was always by her side. Since they are both professional photographers, they packed all the photo gear to welcome their baby, that heavy back pack remained untouched through the night! That's how much his soul and energy were devoted to his first daughter's birth. Every time I go back in time, still amazes me to this day. 
When I was invited to welcome my nice almost 7 years ago, I didn't know how that powerful event was going to change my perception of "natural birth" and life in general. Fifteen years earlier I had a "natural birth" in a hospital with an induction at 36 weeks, an epidural when I was already full dilated and pushing the baby! In addition to episiotomy without my consent. To me, this was a perfect birth model. The only option I thought I had. 
When my sister gave birth to her baby in water without any assistance or intervention, I was in awed. The doctor was there to gently guide her, only that, a guide. Transition lasted more than two hours to bring her baby out, not a single PUSH was herd! This was the way my niece made her entrance into this world.
I can't really put in to words how I felt at that moment. I experienced a divine presence at all times. It is with full consciousness the most wonderful and beautiful present I have received in my life, THE MIRACLE OF LIFE, right in front of my eyes. I cried the moment she was born and I cry today while seeing these memories back.




"You never know how strong you are until been strong is the only choice you have"
                                                                                                             Bob Marley










 Last shot taken by my sister while Jesus was suturing her!! Kudos Nuria!!

                    
                         Copyright © Zura Lagarde 2015

Comments

Popular Posts